I am an environmental engineer. I never had any problem with normal mold, even though I worked in a sewage sludge treatment plant.
I live in Colombia in South America. I went to Miami in December 2012 to try to get a scholarship to start a master's degree.
A pipe broke, leading to the rapid proliferation of toxic mold.
I slept in the room right next to it.
Then I got this weird "flu" that caused burning in my chest, shortness of breath, terrible leg cramps, insomnia, and more. It was a complete nightmare. I realized it was the mold and desperately searched for answers. Mold/toxin avoidance saved me.
My life has completely changed. Now I'm very hypersensitive to many molds and chemicals. I take cholestyramine and avoid the triggers. I am struggling.
But I feel gratitude for what I still have and believe I will win this battle.
Learn more about Sandra's journey by viewing her video, Don't Give Up Hope.